[Spridgets] 123 Ignition Problems

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] 123 Ignition Problems
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 13:45:50 -0500
I bought one of those expensive 123 ignitions for the racecar.  Got
talked into it by some other folks that used them successfully in pretty
much the same application.

I was tired of the crappy rotors and caps that are now available for the
Lucas distributor.  The last new set cost me a race!

So I installed this thing, following the directions.  Got everything
setup and timed properly.  The car runs fine with it.

The problem is that the rotor is heating up so much that it is melting
the plastic at the top!  The metal conductor is covered in some sort of
thermoplastic and the metal gets so hot that the thermoplastic melts.  I
haven't run the car more than a few minutes at a time as a result.

I posted a question on the 123 Ignition forum about it.  The answer I got
was "I don't know why you are having this problem."  Great help.

Now, I'm running a Crane Hi-6 ignition module along with a LX92 coil.
Maybe that has something to do with it, although this setup worked fine
with the Lucas stuff (and a Pertronix) and my friends are running MSD
ignitions without any trouble.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue?

Thanks!

David

PS, if you're thinking about buying one of these modules, be aware that
the caps and rotors are hard to find.  PPP carries them and they can be
special ordered through some of the parts houses, but it is a crap shoot
getting the right one.  Not to mention they are pricey.