[Spridgets] Cooling Mystery

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Cooling Mystery
From: Robert Weeks <lists@woozy.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:29:05 -0400
I'm continuing to have a cooling problem with my '70 Midget and I'm
pretty stumped at this point.

The car has a new (non-Chinese made in Portugal) radiator and a new
water pump. The coolant system was flushed. *Before* I pulled the engine
to do the transmission swap, the system cooled just fine even on the
hottest days.

Since I pulled the engine I'm losing coolant somewhere. Here's what I
know so far:

    1. A leak down test was done on the engine after I put it back in
and there was no problem there.
    2. The clamps all appear to be tight and the hoses are good.
    3. No oil in the water, no water in the oil
    4. No white exhaust smoke

I've topped the coolant off when the engine is running and a day or two
later it will be very, very low on coolant.

I'm suspecting the expansion tank / radiator cap. The only evidence of
coolant escaping the system is right below where the expansion tank
overflow hose is. The expansion tank seems to be always full even when
the radiator is very low.

I'm pretty sure I have the hose to the expansion tank hooked up
correctly. It goes to the lower fitting and the over flow hose goes to
the upper fitting at the neck of the tank. Is this correct? Would a
faulty radiator cap cause the problem that I'm describing? Can anyone
explain how this whole remote expansion tank system is supposed to work?

Thanks,

Robert