[Spridgets] High Oil Pressure Update

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] High Oil Pressure Update
From: rrengineer@dslextreme.com
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:19:57 -0700 (PDT)
I finally got the domed nut off to inspect the spring and cup of the oil
pressure bypass assembly.  I bought a cheap 1 inch socket and had to grind
the sh*t out of it to get it on the nut.  When I pulled the spring out the
cup came out with a little twisting and looked fine.  No ridge where it
might have stuck in the seat.  It slid up the bore with no problem so I
don't suspect the cup, but the spring is a another matter.  When I
measured it, the free length was 2 and 15/16ths.  The correct length for a
1275 spring is 2.86" or 2 and 55/64ths.  the spring in the engine was
closer in length to an MGB spring which bypasses at 70 PSI.  The 1275
spring is supposed to relieve at 50 PSI.   Yesterday I ordered a new cup,
spring and 2 copper washers for replacements.  The package arrived today,
but instead of a spring a flat washer with a flat side to lock it in place
was in the bag with the spring part number.  The kind of washer on
connecting rods.  So I don't have a spring to compare yet.  They say they
are sending me a spring on Monday and I should get it by Tuesday.  Good
old Moss.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2