Re: [Spridgets] Lucas side entry cap

To: "Brad Fornal" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>, "63AHBJ7"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Lucas side entry cap
From: "Robert Bruce Evans" <b-evans@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 09:45:31 -0700
Brad Fornal  wrote:  "If this be the case, Buster SHOULD still have this
rare NOS cap."

Oh, Brad, I love your sense of humor!  You must have overlooked where I got
it---from the *Sears, Roebuck foreign car catalog*!!!!  The Wal-Mart (or
Harbor Freight) of their day!

Like any good retailer, Sears said that the Sprite's ignition system was
made by Lucas, but never that THEIR parts were from the Prince.  The fine
print assured the buy that the parts were made to the same exactly
specifications as the original.  It was not side-entry, but the stuck up
middle finger.  It was pretty hard to find Lucas parts in those days, and I
have to admit that Sears was a lot less expensive than even the BAP/Geon
stuff.  So NOS, I fear not.  When I get the time, I will go over and
rummage through storage and try to find it and send you a photo.  I believe
that the OEM is still out in the garage and will check for it.

Ah, the Sears Foreign Car catalog,  "Foreign" meant any car manufactured
outside the U.S., including Singer, Simca, Renault and Opel.  And yes, they
had a few Datsun and Toyota parts, but also those neat, gee-whiz imported
cars like the Dodge Colt and the Lincoln-Mercury Capri!  Ah, yes, the day
when "foreign" or "imported' gave things the imprimatur of higher quality!

Buster Evans