[Spridgets] EFI a success!!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] EFI a success!!
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 10:26:53 -0800 (PST)
Today was the day of reckoning.  With the fully charged laptop hooked up
and set in the "Autotune" mode, I started the car, warmed it up and took
off on a twenty mile tuning ride.  Working my way through the gears and
RPM range, I kept one eye on the laptop screen and watched the software
refine the "VE table" that controlled the mixture.  As I drove along the
O2 sensor guage showed a better and better mixture until it was pretty
much dead on.  There was no stutter or sag on acceleration, no lag or
dying on decel, and a smooth idle.  I went up to 80MPH in 5th gear and
even gave a small shot of boost at one point just to record the
computer's response.  When the engine cools off I'll check the plugs.

I shot a video that gives a look at the business end and lets you hear
the sound.  Maybe Ed will post it.

Here's the "final" setup for the turbo bugeye EFI project:

The injectors are Lucas 44/lb/hr 16ohm, the heat shield and FPR bracket
are bits cut from a replaced aluminum panel from my wife's Morris woodie.
(header wrap glued on other side) It protects the TPS from the exhaust
manifold. The bracket and TB/turbo/injector head unit are homemade of
mild steel with the MIG welder, drill press and grinder.
The injector seats are plumbing fittings and the connectors were snipped
off a Volvo.  The gulp valve is original(to some car or another I'm sure).
The manifold pressure hose to the FPR is from my fish tank.
Fuel pump and FPR from MSD.
The fuel rail is welded bits of a junkyard car's rail($5),
The throttle body is from a junkyard Ford 1.9L Graylumpofcrap($20),
All this hodgepodge crapola working together....priceless.

Glen Byrns