Re: [Spridgets] OK experts, LBC content

To: "'Jack Laird'" <jlaird237@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] OK experts, LBC content
From: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@att.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 23:34:59 -0800
Putting the longer push rod in a 948 clutch is usually done because the TO
bearing and/or clutch is worn (I've seen lots of push rods with extensions
welded on in the old day). Putting the shorter one in should make it worse
not better.  You could try an even longer push rod (or the proper size nut
in the slave cylinder, seen that a lot also). If you have a later model
ribcase and the original 948 backing plate that also can cause that type of
problem. My bet is you will soon be replacing the clutch and TO bearing.
                Crash

You guys may have seen this before?

I just came back from a nice drive, lovely here sun out and high 60s.

Here is what I determined.

Below 3K RPM all is fine. From 3K to 4K clutch pedel is low but workable
when
shifting. Above 4K pedel will not release clutch.

I do have a 1275 slave push rod installed which is 2 11/16 long vs the 948,
1098 which is 2 1/2 inchs long. However, I would think that the longer one
would be fine as the pedel is good other wise. But then is it? I can change
out easly enough, not a problem. Do you think it makes any difference?
Jack Laird
Retired USAF