[Spridgets] EFI non-progress

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] EFI non-progress
From: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:14:21 -0800
I'm always quick to post when things are going great, so here's the balancing
post.

I haven't made a lick of progress in two weeks since I screwed up and burned
out the EFI computer.  I "sparked" the tach wire across the negative coil lead
while the engine was running to see if the tach would give a little jump.
Well.......it did.  It jumped right to 0.  I shorted out the power supply
portion of the ECU and I'll have to eventually diagnose it and swap out a few
capacitors.
In the meantime, I ordered a second kit and built another ECU(which I told me
wife will go into her Morris after I use it as a backup spare for the Missouri
trip).  While this technically true, it saves me admitting to SWMBO what a big
screwup I committed.  In the two day process of building the new one, I
figured out the source of the ignition problem that was stumping me.  ( A
capacitor installed for "coil triggered" ignition that isn't needed for the
optical Crane trigger was causing intermittent dropped sparks.)

The wideband sensor was replaced on warranty, the new center speaker/boost
gauge/fuel pressure gauge console is designed and patterned, ready to cut out
of aluminum and cover in vinyl.  It'll occupy the same area as the original
Spridget center radio console.  The timing table is entered and ready to test.
So like Canned Heat said,

"I'm on the road again.."

Glen Byrns