Re: [Spridgets] First oil change & break in

To: Shane Ingate <hottr6@hotmail.com>, <billdentin@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] First oil change & break in
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 12:13:35 -0600
Daniel,

Depends on the motorcycle.  My BMW K model is an inline 4 cylinder virtually
identical to a car engine except for the lubrication system since the engine
mounts with the pistons moving sideways instead of up and down. Makes it
very easy to get to both top and bottom end without taking the engine out of
the frame. It has a 3 main bearing crank with big end bearings just alike a
car. Stresses may be different than a car, but the design of many motorcycle
bottom ends is very similar to a car - IE.  a crank, main bearings and big
end bearings. In fact, the top end is where some motorcycles differ greatly
from cars - I'm thinking 2 strokes here.  Reed valves....etc.

Cheers!!
Jim