Re: [Spridgets] heads up on "rust converters"

To: Bud Osbourne <abcoz@hky.com>, Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] heads up on "rust converters"
From: Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 08:55:13 -0800
I've had good luck with the Corroless rust stabiliser that Eastwood used to
sell, although I always cleaned the rust off before I applied it.  The Rust
encapsulator that they replaced it with is useless. They tried to claim it
was the same product with a different name, but Corroless is a brand name,
and it's still around. Eastwood's metal prep doesn't work nearly as well as
lacquer thinner, and it leaves fish eyes. I tried their hi-temp manifold
coating. I used their rust remover, but it didn't take the rust off, and
left a sticky coating that was harder to remove than rust. I blasted the
manifolds clean, and applied their coating exactly according to the
instructions. They were completely rusty again in about six weeks. Their
under-hood black seems to work OK.
BZ