Re: [Spridgets] Where's my Oil? No LBC, but auto related

To: rrengineer@dslextreme.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Where's my Oil? No LBC, but auto related
From: "Brad Fornal" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:16:01 -0500
Ok, I don't know much about the Honda Accord design, but I'll share with you
a similar story. On the Nissan Altima 2.5 four cylinder, the catalytic
converter is made as part of the exhaust manifold. When it fails, because of
it being close to the valves, it is prone to pulling particulates into the
engine at start-up, scoring the cylinder walls. This will cause it to use
oil, with no visible signs of where it is going. It is worse on the 2002 and
2003 models, but Nissan is still using the same format of exhaust manifold
in current production. When I took my 2005 in to the dealer, to have the
crank sensor reprogrammed, I asked them about this failure issue. Their only
response was "you need to change the catalytic converter every 80,000
miles", to the tune of $500 JUST FOR THE PART!!
 This isn't mentioned in their maintainence schedule in the owners manual,
at least not that I can see. If anyone has an Altima, you may want to check
out www.thenissanfight.com
So, back to YOUR issue Mike. Take it to the dealer. If it has less than
80,000, as you say, and a catalytic converter failure caused your problems,
it is something that they have to warranty. Once you pass that 80,000 mark,
you WILL be on your own.

Brad

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 3:06 AM, <rrengineer@dslextreme.com> wrote:

>     I have a 2004 Honda Accord Coupe, 5 speed, 4 cylinder.  About 4 days
> ago I was comong home from work (63 miles) and 5 miles from home my
> oil light started blinking.  I pulled into a convenience store
> parking lot and found no oil on the dipstick.  It took 3 quarts to
> fill it back up!  I had to put in the wrong wt oil because the
> convenience store did not have 5W-20.  So, I immediately went to the
> Honda dealer near me and had the oil changed.  When it was on the
> lift I looked under the car.  It was bone dry under there.  No leaks
> from the drain plug or filter.  I had not changed the oil in about
> 7000 miles because I work 7 days a week and did not have a chance to.
>  Or, maybe I forgot.  Anyway even if you go 7000 miles on a car that
> has 72000 miles on it, the oil should be dark, not missing.  So now I
> have gone 3 round trips to work after the oil cjange and I am down
> more than half a quart!  Where could the oil be going?!?  It is not
> in the antifreeze or leaking and there is no blue smoke out the back.
>  I'm ready to do another oil change and sell it or trade it in.
>
> Mike MacLean
> 60 Sprite
> 56 BN2

DON JULIO 1942