[Spridgets] Surfer's Seats

To: Spridget Chat Group <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Surfer's Seats
From: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:48:41 -0500
Those of you in hot climates may be interested in the "surfer's seats" I found
at Home Depot.  They are $18 "Sunilla" mesh outdoor chairs with a steel leg/arm
frame that can be taken off leaving just the seat-shaped side pieces that
support the mesh.  One stretcher bar remains in place at the top.  The bottom
can be stretched with two 3/8" threaded rods with washers and nuts in the place
of the leg/arm frame.  I will fake up some kind of framework to lift the seat
and mate the threaded rods with the seat sliders from my very dead current
seats.  These mesh seats will be cool and impervious to wet bathing suits.  See
photos at   http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/mdrowe_photo/SurferSeats/
Ideas on how to make a frame are welcome.  The simplest would be a plywood box,
but that seems inelegant to me.

I am describing this adaptation before it is completed because I think the
chairs will not last long.  I noticed them in Home Depot a week ago.  Today,
half of the ones of the color I wanted were already sold.  For $18 apiece,
anyone who thinks he might be interested should just go out an get some before
they are gone.  If they don't end up in your car, they are cheap and
comfortable outdoor chairs.

Michael Rowe
Long Island, NY
Aspiring Surfer Dude (of a certain age)