[Spridgets] cooling system issues

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] cooling system issues
From: ryan.kubanoff@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:52:26 +0000
Reviving a 74 midgit. I last posted about leaking antifreeze from the radiator
cap of my expansion tank after a ride. I replaced the cap with a 13 Lbs cap and
today after a 27 mile 50 minute ride  to and from work i had antifreeze coming
out of the overflow tube on the expansion tank. I also have a broken temp gauge
to make things more interesting. I checked the overflow when things cooled down
and it is half full but the radiator is down about 4".  What is causing this?
My plan is to replace the thermostat and the badly corroded looking crossflow
pipe on the bottom of the radiator. is there anything else i am missing or
should try while i am at it?  There does seem to be a small oozing of oil from
the head gasket but not enough to reduce oil pressure or volume.
any ideas?
thanks
ryan