Re: [Spridgets] soda blasting

To: Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] soda blasting
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 13:23:48 -0700
do have to rinse.

 Long answer is that Soda requires a different sized nozzle and more
volume (I think) than a normal sandblaster gives you, you can get kits
to convert a sandblaster to soda but they are just $30-40 worth of parts
that you are charged over a $100 for. I don't know what the parts are so
I can't help you on converting.  I just know the internals are slightly
different and the nozzles different.  If you use a sandblaster you will
waste all your Soda in minutes or even quicker.

 After blasting, the beauty of Soda is that you can wait a few days to
coat the steel, Soda will leave a protective finish on that will protect
a few days (they say weeks but in my garage about 4 or 5 days) and yes
you must wash it off prior to painting.   It is very environmently
friendly but will kill grass and vegetation by raising the pH of the
soil to a point the grass dies, it comes back very quickly after the
first good rain. I have not killed any lawn or the wife's roses but I
have damaged the lawn a few times where it turned yellow and looked like
it was dying.  The rinse is done with plenty of clean water or since I
don't like applying lots of water to a unpainted metal surface you can
also wipe with a moist rag using a mixture of water and vinegar to
neutralize.  I have been told it can "stain" auto paint jobs but it has
not hurt any of my cars.

  I much prefer Soda over sandblasting.

    mike