Eight months later, I finally got back on the '73 Midget project.
Basically, as the situation was left, there was oil oozing out, lots of
vapor from front vent and some from the rocker cover.
I dragged it out and got it started, albeit with some difficulty. So I
went back to the emails I had received on this topic last summer.
I got a lot of good info from various people on the list, but seems the
consensus was to do a compression test and a leak-down test. Well,
compression test is something I know how to do, so I did it. Gauge
showed 100 psi across the board. This was on an engine that had just
been run, so it wasn't dry. Even so, I squirted a few cc's of oil into
each cyl before testing. As I understand it, 100 psi is pretty low...
Talking to a mechanic acquaintance of mine, he says if it sat a long
time, you might just need to run it a while, and see if it improves.
Says the rings may 'free up' after a bit.
So I got it warmed up, adjusted the HS2 carbs, and drove the little car.
First time I ever drove it actually. Holy Cow - 1st gear is NOISY! It
was gutless at first, but after it got hot, then readjusted the carbs.
It started running better and better. I had meant to adjust the valves,
but it was amusing and I ran out of time after goofing off with it for a
Just as it was getting dark, I rechecked compression in cylinder #1 only
- it was now 120 psi. Also, I noticed it wasn't dribbling oil out the
Guess tomorrow I will warm it up, adjust the valves, and recheck it...
If all this pans out acceptable, I will move on to figuring out how to
reconstruct the charcoal cannister engine venting arrangement.
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html