Hello all. Thanks for all your answers. Sorry for late reply, i didn't
have the possibility to try and start up my car until today. Now I know
I still have the same problem: when i turn the key to
start the engine the starter motor turns but the engine doesnt spark up.
It's only when I release the key that it does fire up. Here are a few
- My electrical system is from a GAN 5. Probably changed by the previous
owner (or even the one before), as my car is a 1968 GAN 4
- I didn't have that problem when i first bought the car.
- I didn't replace any electrical parts. But I had a few other problems
with the lights, horn, gauges and fuel pump etc.., so I had to check the
electrical system and probably did something wrong.
- I don't know if I have a ballasted ignition (how can I make the
distinction?). But i did not have the problem before and haven't changed
the solenoid or coil since.
- My starter solenoid has 4 posts and was apparently replaced by the
- 2 of the posts are used. Two are unused.
- On my second midget (GAN 5), the starter solenoid is the same one, but
there are three wires to it, instead of two. Should I have a third wire
connected to it? I don't have the electrical diagram with me.
- Current passes freely between engine and negative battery post.
- Don't have a pertronix ignition
Thanks for your ideas!
Max (1968 Midget)
Peter C a icrit :
> Well, IF your car had a ballasted ignition system, that would be a
> symptom of a bad ballast resistor. You would not have a ballast
> resistor as original equipment on a 68. (a 78 does, however)
> Another possibility is if the starter solenoid has been changed
> recently, and mistakenly, to the 4 post variety (as used on post 74
> models with ballasted ignition, then you would experience the same thing.
> Has any work been done recently on the car that you think might be
> Peter C.
> At 10:27 AM 4/25/2008, Maxime Slegers wrote:
>> Hello everyone!
>> I have a start up problem with my 1968 midget. when i turn the key to
>> start the engine the starter motor turns but the engine doesnt spark up.
>> It's only when I release the key that it does fire up. It's as though
>> plugs only made a spark at the exact moment when I release the key. It's
>> not such a big issue as i always end up managing to fire up the engine,
>> but i have to rate if i've held the key long enough before releasing it.
>> Anybody had that problem before or has an idea where it could come from?
>> Thanks a lot guys!
Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html