Re: [Spridgets] Jaguar Question

To: RampantNM@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Jaguar Question
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 19:22:21 -0400
RampantNM@aol.com wrote:
> I know it's off topic and I don't even own an ascot, but our local Jag
> dealer has been advertising deals that look attractive for XK8 and XKR
>models.
> Currently has a 2003 XKR with 50K miles for $22,000.
>
> I've got to say I'm tempted.  Anyone have any experience with these  models
> and their reliability?

Having had an old series 3 XJ6 (pre Ford), and later an X type and now
an S type, I can say that Ford has improved the reliability of the new
Jags from the older ones.
If you can do the basic stuff yourself, that's good, dealers charge $350
for the "Special" which includes new wiper blades and an oil change. And
they advertise this! But they *check* everything, yeah right.
I now own an 03 S type, so far only the clutch safety switch got stuck,
but try to figure out why the car wouldn't start.
I would love a book but they are only on CDs, I can't work on the car in
the driveway and look at a CD on the computer at the same time, yeah I
could print pages out but my printer is chinese, it never works.
Most of the parts are made in England, at least from what I have seen
with what little work I have done to the S.
I like mine, but I also liked my old XJ6, and working on that was not
too bad, basic MG electrics but lots more of them.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ