[Spridgets] From cut-off bolts to--Over the road

To: <dmg@bossig.com>, "'spriteMidget List'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [Spridgets] From cut-off bolts to--Over the road
From: "B- Evans" <b-evans@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:43:54 -0700
Dave G. wrote:  "The one I remember most often is "Give me 40 acres and I'll
turn this rig around"...

Hot DAMN!   Someone else remembers The Willis Brothers (or were they still
the Oklahoma Wranglers).   From Okie City, we used to be able to pull in WSM
and the Grand Old Opry where they were still on it.  But that was before
there were any CB's, probably sometime in the 60's.    They heyday of the
trucker/CB songs came in the 1970's with "The White Knight" and C.W.
McCall's "Convoy".   It was Red Sovine who was probably the grand daddy of
songs from the cab of an over-the-road haulers, including the road song that
always gave me goosebumps, "Teddy Bear", the story of a handicapped little
boy who could only talk with the passing truckers.   Those drivers were a
far cry from those today who drive in the comfort of interstates and air
conditioned cabs with a massive condo behind them!   Surprisingly enough, I
always found the best food was wherever you saw a bunch of rigs parked
outside and the drivers inside at the tables that had telephones to hustle
up a load or call home.

Sprite drivers, I found, were the truckers' good friend back then.   They
would always give us lee way, and if you had trouble on the side of the
road, they would invariably give a hand (unless on an Tollroad).  Oncoming
trucks would give a hand signal if you would be finding a cop laying in wait
ahead of you.   OK, I am stretching the memory, but maybe Robert Houston
knows, wasn't it two fingers if there was heat ahead, and a twirling
forefinger as a high sign to keep rolling.

Buster