[Spridgets] Bugeye hardura mats & snaps...

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Bugeye hardura mats & snaps...
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 23:10:41 -0400
I am looking at photo's in Eric Dymock's book "The Sprites and Midgets" (pg.
22-23)

These appear to be early BMC photos of the top storage sequence on an early '58.
The reason I say "early '58" is because one can clearly see the gussets between
the fenderwells
and the hump over the axle.   The front hardura mats on these cars had notches
cut out to clear these
gussets.

Then I see eight "ring snaps" on these early hardura mats in the following
positions: two on the axle hump,
one above each cutout where the bows go through, one well below each bow cutout
and one on either side
of the tunnel down low.

When I look at Terry Horler's book, "Original Sprite and Midget" there is a
good photo of a later bugeye
with the box section.  I then realize there is significant difference not only
in the front hardura mat, but also
with the fender harduras, as they were cut different to follow the box section.

On the later front hardura mat I believe there are only six "ring snaps".  Two
on the hump,  one well below
each bow cutout, and one on either side of the tunnel, down low.

Now, onto my car.  I have a '59 and it is box section.  I've loacated all the
holes however there is only one
discrepency.  I have holes, presumably for the snaps, on either side of the
tunnel, but they are placed high
at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions.

Anybody else have them located around the tunnel like this?
Also, Am I correct in that for the male part of the snaps that are mounted to
the sheet metal, that this is
accomplished through a 1/4" hole with a special insert and a #6 phillips
finishing screw?