[Spridgets] Holy Sprite Trailer info - hand off folks

To: Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Holy Sprite Trailer info - hand off folks
From: Kitterer Bob <bkitterer@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 22:26:40 -0700
Hi folks,

After two days with the Holy Sprite and Trailer thought I would pass
on some information - - - my perspective.

The trailer is very close if not at it's weight limit.  It may be
rated a bit higher but most of the weight is near the edges of the
frame rather than evenly distributed so the frame is being stressed
from the edges.

With Glens help we moved the loose parts around to balance the
trailer and put some weight on the tongue.  Right now it tows very
nicely but as Glen and I found out moving some weight around,
particularly to the rear, and the trailer will start to wag at
relatively low speeds.

My understanding is that some parts are coming off and others being
added.  I strongly recommend doing a short test run before hitting
the open road to be sure of the trailer balance and handling.

I have been driving at 55 - 60 mph (the tires are rated for 55 mph)
using a Honda CRV an hardly know that the trailer and car are behind
me.  I do slow down for rough roads.  I get nervous that a tie down
line may give way with the extra stress.  Since the brake drums and
disk so close to the edge of the trailer it would not take much
movement to become a serious problem.

HAND OFF ITEMS

When you pick up the car be sure that you get the documentation
package - -  trailer registration and documentation for the car.
Also Buster donated a 1 7/8 ball which is in the Sprite just in case
there is a need and I am going to toss in a few extra tie downs as
back up.

Almost head back home.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2000 Miata Special Edition