Re: [Spridgets] oem (original 1980) fuel line

To: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] oem (original 1980) fuel line
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 14:03:46 -0500
Bud,

That fuel line comes on BMW motorcycles too and I have been using it for 40
some odd years (and a few even years ;-).  You just have to check it
periodically. Of course it's a lot easier on a motorcycle where it is out in
the open and obvious. The rubber eventually gets brittle but it takes years
to do so. I have it on my replace list for every 3 years on each BMW bike.
If one did the same on their Spridget they should be fine. Nothing lasts
forever...   Well.... Nothing except stupidity and THAT is permanent!!  ;-)

Cheers!!
Jim

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Bud Osbourne <abcoz@hky.com> wrote:

> I hate to burst your engine guru's bubble, but that stuff is crap.  I've
> been using the stuff on air-cooled VWs and Porsches (it's OE on both)
> for more years than I care to admit to, so I'm more than a bit familiar
> with it.
> The trouble with the stuff is that, although it will continue to look
> just fine for YEARS, the rubber dries out and develops leaks under the
> fabric covering.  A whole lot of German cars (it's also OE on BMW and
> M-B) have been lost to engine compartment fires of "unknown origin",
> because of that stuff.
> So, if you want to use it, fine.....just be sure to replace it every
> third year, or you may get a very big, very un-wanted surprise some day.
> Bud Osbourne

Cheers!!
Jim