Re: [Spridgets] 155sr-13 tires

To: "Peter Shull" <pdx.pete@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 155sr-13 tires
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 08:48:07 +0100
Peter,
The below is an excellent review of recommendations round the world.

Six years, Five years and Six years.  Although I would put less weight on
the Ford and Chrysler recommendations than the Tyre and Rubber Association
ones.  This is not a   5year - 1day =good and 5yr +1day=bad   situation, it
depends on the use, the storage, the conditions it has been kept in etc etc.

If you keep a tyre on a car 5 years (or so), inflated and don't rotate the
ground contact patch but otherwise keep it in ideal conditions it will
crease and get a flat spot.  OK for display but bad for driving.  Move the
tyre round fairly frequently it will be OK.  Jack the car up on blocks it
will be OK

Five years is a good time to have an in depth check wether your tyre has
been used or not.  Look for the little cracks and crazing on the sidewall
where it flexes under a static load, the little lines or cracks in the
grooves at the bottom of the tread.  Wrinkles and splits where the side wall
meets the wheel rim, they are aging signs and it is time to get new.

Strong sunshire, exposure to arc welding flash, ozone gas, even some tyre
wall polishes and paints(!) all go towards aging rubber.  However, it is not
a case of weld near a tyre and it will fail the next time you use it - the
sky isn't falling down! - but it will age it faster.

Guy R Day