Re: [Spridgets] Looking for a cap for an aluminum valve cover

To: jdc6@Lehigh.EDU, tncarnut1@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Looking for a cap for an aluminum valve cover
From: Weslake1330@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:22:38 EDT
If you find that doesn't work because the cap is an odd size (like the
Oselli alloy rocker cover) an alternative is to convert to a monza flip cap
which
requires a threaded aluminium sleeve (available to purchase with the cap)
welded to the cover.

I'm about to convert my Weslake cap to the Monza cap and hoped someone had
already done this.  With the capless Oselli cap I might just sell it for
someone else to do the conversion.

W e s l a k e 1330

In a message dated 25/09/2008 13:33:51 GMT Daylight Time, jdc6@Lehigh.EDU
writes:

David  Booker wrote:
> I bought two vintage finned aluminum valve covers a few  months ago at a
garage
> sale.  Either / both would work on my  1275.  Problem is that niether have a
> cap.  I have been  unsuccessful at finding one so far.  The cap I need
screws
> on in  the same manner as our gas caps do - with the bits that hold it on
>  around the outside of the filler neck - opposite of how a radiator cap is
held
> on where the slots are inside the neck.
>
> I  sent the dimensions of what I need to Moss, but they were unable to  find
> anything in stock that would work.  Does anybody have a  suggestion for a
> source, or better yet something laying around the  garage that would work
and
> you'd be willing to sell?  I can  provide the specific measurements if
anybody
> has a candidate.

Hi David,
I went through this last year after  buying an aluminum valve cover on
ebay, and yes it looks as though a gas  cap would fit. Chuck Christ
happened to be working on a Spit, and we found  that the oil cap from a
1300cc Spitfire fit perfectly. Apparently these  were covers sold by Moss
in the UK, and Jim Knight from British Racing  Green helped me find the
correct Moss part number for the nice chrome  version of this cap as
pictured in the link  below.
http://www.spritespot.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=Johns-Projects&;
id=mossspitcap
http://www.brgparts.com/