Re: [Spridgets] Cross Country Trip

To: "'Jethro \(J Foster\)'" <tr3.4.me@gmail.com>, "'Kathryn Bales'"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Cross Country Trip
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 07:10:57 -0400
For cars with carbon ring throw out bearings (<'75 Spridgets), the
factory driver's handbook tells you quite clearly that the transmission
is to be in neutral, with the clutch engaged (foot off the pedal, in
other words), to start the engine.  This will put less load on the
starter, allowing it to spin the engine noticeably faster.
An added benefit is that the thrust bearing does not have to endure that
pressure (from the force of the pressure plate pushing against it) when
there is no oil pressure to support it.
Bud Osbourne