Re: [Spridgets] Garage

To: "'Kevin Valentine'" <kevinv1275@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Garage
From: "Heard" <heard@datatrontech.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:47:21 -0400
Kevin,
My .02 on the floor.

2 part epoxy works great and I got mine from Durall.  To do it right, you
will spend more time and effort prepping the floor than actually painting
it. I did a 2 car garage attached to my house and a separate 23x40 workshop.
Both were new floors when I did it.  My floors were monolithic slabs poured
here in the shifting sands of Florida, so I had some hairline and larger
cracks to deal with.  Here is what I say:

1.  Frank is correct.  I did not use the flecks for that same reason, but I
found out what they are really for.  They cover up the cracks.  To patch the
cracks, you use either 2 part epoxy or if it is a hairline crack, you use
body putty.  Either way, no matter how much you grind it or mess with it,
you will see evidence of these cracks in the end unless you use the flecks.
My floors don't look bad at all, and I would do it the same way again
(without the flecks), but just be aware those cracks will never be invisible
unless you are a lot better at patching concrete than me or unless you use
the flecks.
2.  You will have a choice of using something called shark grip or not.
Shark grip makes the finish a little duller and provides some friction so
when it gets wet, you won't be getting hurt.  I put shark grip on my 2 car
garage but left it off the workshop.  I like both of them.  The workshop is
a lot glossier and looks really good, but I have to watch the spills a
little more.  The garage is duller but is still comfortable to walk on
barefoot and is still easy to sweep.
3.  If you go this route, you will be using an etching liguid as part of the
prep process.  You might even use a mop to spread it around like I did.
Don't leave the mop full of the etching liquid outside sitting on the
driveway.  After a few weeks, it will eat a hole in the new driveway.  Don't
ask me how I know this.
4.  You mention basements.  If you can't use a hose to rinse this stuff out
the door as you prep, I'm not sure I would do this.  The directions say to
use a shop vac.  You would never get done using a shop vac.

Heard