Re: [Spridgets] Bentley-RR Trivia: was calculating speed

To: bmwwxman@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Bentley-RR Trivia: was calculating speed
From: Weslake1330@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:06:45 EDT
Not so.

Top speed is limited by aerodynamic drag and BHP.  To go faster you  need
less drag or more bhp or both.

Acceleration on the other hand is limited by lb/f torque to weight ratio  (to
the point where the drag is greater than bhp and limits top speed and
therein acceleration).

The motorcycle has less drag than a car (less frontal area really) so needs
less bhp to reach its maximum speed.  The wheel diameter is neither here  nor
their because the gearing controls the gearing and the wheel diameter is  just
one factor.

W e s l a k e 1330

In a message dated 21/10/2008 18:15:47 GMT Daylight Time,  bmwwxman@gmail.com