Re: [Spridgets] Was Hope...for GM? Now coming back to topic...

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Was Hope...for GM? Now coming back to topic...
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 23:54:39 -0500
This has strayed off topic a bit. The point of the original couple of posts
was not necessarily that any of the manufacturers are doing a poor job
(though plainly a few are - our 2005 Silverado is plagued with problems that
the dealer seems unable to solve while our 2000 Silverado was a gem). The
point originally was that if you want to destroy an industry and create a
black hole to suck up tax money, nationalize it and let it be run by a
government bureaucracy. That's what happened in England.

I have no problem with helping by loaning money to GM or any other American
manufacturer provided they pay the loan back as Chrysler did under Iaccoca.
I do have a problem with supporting a failing industry with my tax dollars
because they have made some very bad decisions and aren't willing to make
necessary changes to rectify the situation. And why should they change if
the government will give them your tax money to continue down the same
non-productive path they are already on? They found a "Sugar Daddy" - an
you're it!

I'm sorry about workers being laid off or losing their jobs in factory
closings, but realistically, we as tax payers cannot support them forever
just because their employers were stupid. Maybe its "tough love" but sooner
or later this country has got to stop bailing out every industry that gets
into trouble or the employees that lose their job, retirement, home or
whatever. I've got all I can handle supporting myself without having to
support others who fall on hard times. I'm sorry for them, but that's life.
You don't get a guarantee when you're born.

Also, where the heck is all this money going to come from? Do we just print
up some more and give it out to everyone so the government can take it and
give it away elsewhere with no hope of every getting it back?

Cheers!!
Jim - Who is buying up ammo and food....  Just so you know, it won't be easy
to get my belongings...