Re: [Spridgets] Clutch release problem

To: "David Woerpel" <dwoerpel@wi.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Clutch release problem
From: "Brad Fornal" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 07:50:38 -0500
BTDT, I would place my bet on the disc stuck to the flywheel. I replaced
everything on our 68 with new bits. STILL no release. I put the floor jack
under the rear pumpkin, raised the car up, started it. I had my lovely
assistant lower the car and down the road I went, I jammed the brake and
clutch both at the same time 5 or 6 times in rapid succession. That did the
trick and all was well.
YMMV

Brad

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 1:05 AM, David Woerpel <dwoerpel@wi.net> wrote:

> Listers, I am headed to NJ & the Holy Sprite in a few hours and just
> received the following from a friend in need.  Perhaps he may be the
> beneficiary of your collective expertise, Oh Wizards of the Web.  Please
> respond directly to John.
> Thanks,
> Dave
> 59 :{)
> Burlington WI
>

> John Seaman wrote:
>
>> Maybe you can get some opinions from your Sprite friends.
>>
>> I am helping a friend, (Keary Kautzer - Sheboygan), fix a clutch problem
>> with his 69 Sprite.  The clutch disengagement kept getting worse, becoming
>> ineffective.  This fall, I tried bleeding the slave cylinder, but no
>> improvement.  I took out the slave piston, and emeried the bore smooth, put
>> it back in and bled it, but no improvement.  We put in new master and new
>> slave cylinders, and bled the system several times.  The slave rod has over
>> an inch movement now, but the pedal still goes to the floor without
>> releasing the clutch.
>> Is it possible for the pressure plate springs to be weak or broken, and
>> even with this fork movement, maybe the pressure plate still does not
>> release the clutch disc?
>>
>> I am running out of ideas, and wonder if there is anything else to try or
>> look for?  I suspect the pressure plate is the problem.  When the slave
>> cylinder was replaced, the PO had welded a entension to the rod, so I
>> suspect this has been going on for awhile.
>> I think replacing the clutch pressure plate, disc, and TO bearing is the
>> only option.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.
>>
>> John Seaman  jcman22@charter.net

DON JULIO 1942

www.myspace.com/tequilabrad