Re: [Spridgets] 5 speed

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 5 speed
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:44:50 -0800 (PST)
--- On Mon, 11/24/08, Matt Hagopian <mhagopian@hoppetool.com> wrote:
> I think we are just going to rebuild the ribcase tranny that
> we have. We
> already have a tilton clutch setup

Matt,
The stock ribcase will not take that kind of horsepower, nor will the stock
clutch (it might on the street, but not on the track). A factory straight cut
box will be close; Jeff Porasik blew one up this year with an alleged 137 HP
(his car goes to the dyno in a few weeks). The Tilton setup is Tilton pressure
plate and multi plate disk setup with a hydraulic throw out bearing that goes
with the Richmond/Taylor/Webster setup. If you've seen what looks to be a
ribcase gearbox with a hydraulic line going into the top access hole, that's a
Tilton hydraulic setup. Peter C. tells me it's a Saab TO brg. The mechanical
part looks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/soavero/2866501442/in/photostream/

(OK, so I CAN afford the clutch setup).

Be careful out there -