[Spridgets] Water pump

To: <mhagopian@hoppetool.com>, "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Water pump
From: "Norm 2Bs" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:06:18 -0500
Matt:

I'm picking up on this thread a bit late.  But, here are my $0.02.

You'd have to ask DV why he didn't cover electric pumps.  But, the reality
is that some race orgs don't allow them on our vintage cars.

As for overheating, I had that on my Spridget-engined Turner initially with
what was sold as a "race-prepared" motor.  First step was to have a shop
boil out the engine block & head. Helped a bit.  Last year I installed an
aluminum drag radiator (Scirocco model) from Griffin Thermal Products in
Piedmont, SC.  It's just a 13" x 22" 2-core model. But, now I have the
reverse problem -- it cools TOO efficiently.  I only race the Turner, so
don't use a thermostat, just a blanking sleeve.  But, have had to block off
a section of the radiator to keep it in the 150-degree range.  Only time I
use the electric fan is when staging.

Also in-line with these posts, last year I developed a leak in the water
pump.  It was one of the original-type cast iron pumps with cast impeller.
The replacement one is aluminum with pressed steel impeller.  I did some
mods to the impeller blades by rounding the edges & then bending the blades
so they are at a small angle instead of at 90-degrees to the direction of
travel.  I don't like it.  But, it seems to work well.  No evidence of
cavitation.  But, I'll bet it's there.

I find I'm running a lot at 5500 to 6500 rpm so really need a larger pulley
for the pump.  However, there isn't enough room for the fan belt to clear
the thermostat housing if I do that. I have already ground away a good bit
of the housing for the belt to clear it, and still treat the outer surface
of the belt and the housing with paraffin wax in case the belt wobbles
around at speed. I have a head from a 1275 on the 948.  So, my water cooling
changes are at a standstill for now.  Let's see what temp it runs at in hot
weather.  Next race is Feb 21 & 22 in SC.  So, no temp test there.

Only cooling mods I had on my '66 MGB that was my daily-driver in
Connecticut were an electric fan and triple core radiator.  It was the
original radiator that I had modified.  This was a car that I used in
stop-and-go rush-hour traffic (near Cap'n Bob's among other places) as well
as raced.  Never a problem.  Used a thermostat on the street, blanking
sleeve when racing.

Hope this may have helped anyone with cooling problems.

Norm Sippel