Re: [Spridgets] Racing Bugeye on eBay

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Racing Bugeye on eBay
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 07:56:34 -0800 (PST)
--- On Sat, 2/21/09, Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner@gmail.com> wrote:
> so I have a basic understanding. But when you say welded
> rear axle exactly
> what area is welded and what does that do on a Sprite?

Linda,
You don't want one. The spider gears are welded to preclude any slip. It makes
for (in my opinion) great go-cart handling of a Sprite on a road race course
with the right setup. It would be pretty miserable on a street car. In an open
diff, the power go to whichever wheel is under the least traction. Limited slip
is just that - it will limit the slip of a wheel if it senses it (it is either
a torsion sensing device, "TORSEN", or a series of clutches). A good limited
slip is ideal (like a Quaife), but many of us are more than used to welded
diffs and would be lost without them. As Jacques said, they are a b!tch to push
around, and they are most definitely harder on rear axle halfshafts. I use 3.9,
4.22, and 4.55 welded depending on the track. On the street, both my Spridgets
have 3.9s in them.

Ron