[Spridgets] Linda 948 Rebuild

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] Linda 948 Rebuild
From: Kirk Hargreaves <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:48:27 -0800
Linda,

One thing I would caution.  Make sure you have a good well established
person to bore the cylinders out, to do all of the machine shop work.

The first engine I rebuilt was a small block Chevy for a 1966 Camaro.

The machine shop I wanted to use was run by a guy who had been there for
over 12 years building small blocks for the local dirt track.  I am sure
that I would have had good results with this guy.

When I went out to get my engine done, I discovered that the guy had just
started a two week vacation.

Since I was too impatient, I used another guy in town.  He offered a correct
(not by numbers, but by displacement) 327 that he would do for the same
price with my 350 core in exchange.

I thought it was too good of a thing to pass up.  Turns out that he bored
the cylinders with a portable boring machine of some sort and the result was
that my piston rings were never able to seat correctly.

It was burning a quart for every 500 miles.  My take is that the cylinders
were not bored straight, instead they were flanged out a bit - hence why the
rings would never seat.

Now I am thinking that this is a redundant email cause Frank would know who
to use for the machine shop tasks.   But it was certainly a hard lesson for
me back when I was in my early 30's.

Kirk