Re: [Spridgets] Another Crash

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Another Crash
From: Rick Bastedo <rbastedo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 07:58:14 -0700
First, I am really glad for you and your family that you all came out
without major injury.
Like landing an airplane, anytime you can all walk away it's a "good
landing".

I've been in over 40 accidents in my 50 years, strangely enough most of them
initiated by the other drivers.
For a while I felt that there were just too many of them who seemed out to
get me.
Then I eventually figured out I just needed to be more defensive.

Sometimes no matter what you do you will have to make a decision like
putting your bike in a ditch.
You might be coasting down a hill on a motorcycle and have a driver pull his
car out in front of you and stop.
No time to get around him, you lay the bike down and slide the tires under
his car.
He gets out and starts cursing you in Korean for scratching HIS paint. (yes,
that happened to me)

I have had very few accidents in the past 20 years, however the last one was
in a Ford Aerostar with my family.
We got sandwiched in the middle of a three car rear-ender on the freeway.
Both myself and the driver behind me received tickets, but in court mine was
thrown out.
Sometimes you just have to hire an attorney.

Last week I was driving on the freeway early in the morning in my Midget and
the guy next to me in a silver Ford F150 decides he's coming over into my
lane.
You go through a few emotions in a very brief period of time:
"What's he doing?"
"No, he's not coming over here - is he?"
"SH*T - he's pulling over right on top of me!"
"EVASIVE MANEUVERS!!"
"I can't believe he just did that and drove on like nothing happened!!!"
"I should chase him down and have a little talk with him"
"Right after I find some clean shorts"

It brings to mind one of my favorite short stories: Alan Dean Foster's "*Why
Johnny can't speed*"

When driving my spridgets I drive as though I'm on a bike.
I try to be very defensive, I try to be aware of what everyone around me is
doing.

Anyway, like I said I'm really glad you all made it - the car definitely
took the impact.

Rick Bastedo