[Spridgets] Push rod question

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Push rod question
From: Frank <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 21:31:16 -0400
Ok, so I assembled a 1275 out of all kinds of parts from buckets of
internal engine parts and coffee cans of push rods.
I did notice I had 2 different length push rods, about 3/8" or so different.
SO I use the longer ones in the 1275, they seem to be too long, no
adjustment left and all the valves are open.
Well DUHHH! So I remove the rocker assembly and switch to the shorter
push rods, now I do not have enough thread to adjust the valves correctly.
Was there 3 different sizes? 948, 1098, and 1275?
Are the rocker assemblys different from 948, 1098, 1275?
Or could the lifters be different sizes?
Like I said, I have spackle buckets full of engine guts from who knows what.
Suppose I used 1098 lifters, 948 push rods, and a 1275 rocker assembly,
What is the easiest way to fix it without pulling the head to replace
lifters I don't think I have?
This is for the Ladybug and my daughter is anxious to hear it run and
drive down the street.
She already registered the car before the engine went in, there are no
fluids in it yet and today I managed to put a fuel system in it, rear
axle assembly,
rear brakes, exhaust system, alternator set up, carbs, dizzy, and I
bought the fluids.
I am just about burned out on this project but I would like to see it
run too.
I really didn't need this *you can not set the valves because you
screwed up big time this time* with my daughter sitting in the car
making vroom vroom noises.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ