Re: [Spridgets] Fel-Pro gaskets

To: "derf" <derf247@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Fel-Pro gaskets
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 19:30:24 -0400
No thanks.  If I use the Fel Pro gaskets, I can get away without using any
"goop" to hold them in place.  The trouble with using that stuff is that,
sooner or later, you're gonna need to remove it...........
Little background story may be in order, to explain why I HATE removing old,
stubborn gaskets:  When I was young & immortal, and earning a living as a
"striker engineer" on a towboat, we encountered a couple of days of lock
delay and could shut down one of the main engines for maintenance.  The
chief engineer and I decided that it would be a good time to replace all of
the cover plate gaskets on one of the in-line 12 cylinder ("opposed
piston"), Fairbanks-Morse main engines, as we were both getting tired of
cleaning up around them (this was not our "regular" boat....we were both
filling in for the regular crew members).  Now, these engines are probably a
good 25' in length and 10' in height and have about a gazillion cover plates
on the crankcases (upper and lower).  Well, this was in August, 1972 (and
it's over 100F in the lower engine room) and we quickly figured out that
these gaskets must have been the same ones that were on the engines when
first installed, in 1964.  The plates were roughly 12" square, and the
gaskets were (by then) petrified cork.  We had to bust them out with hammer
and chisel!  I swear that the biggest piece of gasket we got out was 1/2"
long, and we cursed the boat's regular chief engineer the whole time.
So, any time I can do something to avoid having to deal with recalcitrant
gaskets, I'm DOIN' it ;)
Bud Osbourne