Re: [Spridgets] Paint Question and More:)

To: "Kirk Hargreaves" <khargreaves2@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Paint Question and More:)
From: "ldsp" <60bugeye@cebridge.net>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 21:58:27 -0500
Have been following this "thread" (sorry Jay:)  and just wanted to chip in
based on my experiences (for whatever they are worth).  Spray a cheap paint
and you get just that..a cheap apint job that you WILL be redoing in a
couple of years if not less.  Spray a QUALITY paint (be it single stage or a
QUALITY base coat  / clear coat) and you will have a job that will stand the
test of time with minimal upkeep.  There REALLY is a reason almost every
paint manufacturer has several different lines of paint ranging from cheap
to quite expensive and it is one of the times when you really get what you
pay for.

This last weekend I showed Iris at Keels and Wheels Concous D Elegance and
the greatest amount of comments I recived were on Iris's finish.  How the
paint was so slick and deep, yet with a slight amount of patina. No one
belived me when I told them it was painted a little over 8 years ago.  I
definetly attribute Iris's looks to the fact that first and foremost the
body work and base primers was done using the best of materials (etching
primer and two part epoxy primers for subsequent coats during the block
sanding stages), and second, the use of one of PPG's best single stage
Urethanes.  Yes, it cost me up front but I would be willing to bet that in
15 yrs she will look the same as she does now with a little care. I think
one of the parts that has really amazed me is that I sprayed the motor with
PPG's Deltron line of catalyzed paint and it has stood up so great to the
engine heat (I also used an epoxy primer on the block before I sprayed the
motor).  Really amazing that it has and is standing up so good as it isnt
high heat paint or designed for engines.

As for the show, AMAZING and STUNNING cars.  Dusenburgs, Delahay's , Lotus,
Morgans, MG's, Mustangs, Jags, and allsorts of other historic and unique
cars ( including the ONLY Tucker convertible in existence).  It was a great
weekend and the people and cars were absolutly great.   Iris came away with
a 2nd in class and I met lister Brian James there (time to come out of
lurking modeBrian :)) and also several other people who have bugeyes around
houston in various stages of completion.  I will try and get pictures up
somewhere soon for all to see.

Leo