Re: [Spridgets] 1275 pressure plate question

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1275 pressure plate question
From: Marc <smarc@smarc.net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 00:51:49 -0400
Filled up the transmission, started it up, and not enough clutch pedal.
No big deal, obviously my shortened push rod is too short now. Fire up
the mig and built it up  1/16", tried again, 2 or 3 iterations and I've
got clutch.

So I drive it off the lift - seems ok, although the clutch starts
engaging really close to the floor... maybe pushrod could be a lil
longer yet.

Anyway, it seems ok, so I back it out of the garage, and do a little 3
point maneuver to turn it around. Due to the slope and position of other
cars in the driveway some feathering of the clutch is necessary, but
nothing I would consider unusual. I stop the car, get out and look
and.... yup - theres smoke coming from the bell housing. Mo%@$F#(^ing
car... That 5 lb maul in the corner  seems to beckon...

The car seems to operate normally, no untoward noises. Everything went
together effortlessly, easiest clutch change I've ever done. The smoke
doesn't even smell like anything burning, certainly not like burnt
clutch (I know what that smells like). I wiped down the pressure plate
surface with brake cleaner before assembly. I was careful not to handle
the clutch disk or TO bearing with greasy fingers. The pilot bearing is
new, and was greased. The splines were very very lightly greased. The TO
bearing was clean (and brand new).

The TO bearing clears the pressure plate when the pedal is released.
I've never seen anything like this on any vehicle I've swapped a clutch
on. I'm tempted to say damn the torpedos, and drive it a bit to see what
happens. Either it will stop smoking  or stop working... or catch fire
and redeem itself...