Re: [Spridgets] New PA legislation !!! FYI & FWIW

To: "Ed's Shop" <shop@justbrits.com>, "00 - SPM@autoX"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] New PA legislation !!! FYI & FWIW
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:49:20 -0400
Yeah, the "Antique" licensed vehicles have always been exempt from state
inspection.  I'm not sure it's entirely a good idea, although I do welcome
just about anything that removes the government's nose from my butt.
However, without an annual state vehicle inspection,  a lot of cars in the
possession of mechanical no-nothings and complete idiots will have no chance
to get safety related defects found and correctly fixed.  Doesn't give me a
warm fuzzy when I think about what might happen if one of those vehicles is
involved in a high-profile wreck.  It could bring unwanted attention (and
regulation) to our cars.
What's been keeping most people from registering their old cars as antiques
(besides the requirement to send four photos of the car, which must depict a
"stock" and fully completed vehicle) is the restrictions on the use of
antique-licensed vehicles.  Actually, the restrictions on antique cars, in
PA aren't really too bad at all (as well as seldom enforced).  Mainly, they
frown of the use of antique cars for daily transportation and state,
outright, that you can't drive them to work more than once a month.  There
is no mention about not driving antique-registered cars after dark (contrary
to what many will try to tell you......I read the stinkin' vehicle code),
nor is there an annual mileage limit that can be enforced.  So, if I had to
cast my vote, I'd vote against exempting "classic" registered vehicles from
inspection.
Still, not many of today's automotive "technicians" have a bloody CLUE as to
how to inspect a vintage vehicle, and the number of qualified "technicians"
(who are licensed by the state to inspect cars, is dwindling rapidly.
Bud Osbourne