Re: [Spridgets] I learned something tonight and thought I'd pass it

To: David Booker <tncarnut1@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] I learned something tonight and thought I'd pass it
From: Brad Fornal <tequila.brad@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:29:26 -0500
I ran into the same problem before LotO, but developed a different solution.
I lubed the hell out of the hole that the fork goes through, wedged a (IIRC
9/16) socket into it, and then used the fork to push out the socket. That
had the hole spread open to let the fork through as the socket popped out on
my face.
Don't worry, no damage was done. Hell, how do you harm a trainwreck??
STFU ED!!!

LOL

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 11:04 PM, David Booker <tncarnut1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> When you are putting a new rubber boot on your clutch fork, do it on the
> bench
> before you mount the fork.  Silly me, I mounted the fork, then spent at
> least
> fifteen very frustrating minutes under the car trying to stretch the boot
> over
> the outside end of the fork.  I used vaseline, tried sticking a screwdriver
> up
> in there to guide the rubber over the end, and anything else I could think
> of
> - all to no avail.
>
> I then removed the fork, clamped it in my vice, and the boot slipped over
> in
> about 2 seconds. All the vaseline may have helped, but it is WAY easier to
> do
> it on the bench and then fit the boot to the hole afterward.
>
> Yeah, I know, all of you probably knew this years ago.  Just thought I'd
> pass
> it along in case there was another dummy like me out there.  I may be slow,
> but I eventually get there.
>
> David Booker
> '71 Midget slowly progressing toward being back together
> Long Island

DON JULIO 1942

www.myspace.com/tequilabrad