[Spridgets] Seat bases, no crabs

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Seat bases, no crabs
From: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 12:39:29 -0400
Back from crabs to LBC's:

BE seat bases rot out early, and replacements are expensive, although Alan's
are more reasonable.  In 1965, the  base changed from metal to a diaphragm with
hooks to a tube frame, which is a taller than the BE frame.  The foam seat
cushion may also be taller to make up the difference.  I see no obvious reason
why the 1965 cushion foam could not be set on a plywood (or??) base screwed to
the BE frame.  The '65 foam appears to be similar in shape to the '63
upholstery, which I prefer.  If it is not tall enough, rectangular fillers in
stiff foam or some other stiff waterproof material can adjust the height.

As I think about it, the '63 foam must be shaped on the bottom to match the
metal base.  It should not be hard to fill in with some other foam glued to the
stock form to make it match a flat plywood diaphragm.

Any thoughts?

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
'60 Bugeye kit