[Spridgets] SMOG Problem-NLBC-94 Toyota Celica

To: 1-Locost <Locost_North_America@yahoogroups.com>, 1-Midget/Sprite
Subject: [Spridgets] SMOG Problem-NLBC-94 Toyota Celica
From: Ed Lindley <lindlaw@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 19:24:24 -0700 (PDT)
SMOG Problem-NLBC-94 Toyota Celica, 2.2 litre, 5 speed:

Took it into the Smog station in San Diego for it's 2 yr check. 2 Failures out
of 18:

   1-timing was 4 BTDC and should be 10 (+/-3) BTDC>
   2-NOx:
     15 mph  708 allowed, 760 results.   FAIL
     25 mph  746 allowed, 740 results.   PASS

   I asked if correcting the timing would help and the tech said it might make
the NOX even higher.

   Any thoughts as to causes and suggested repairs/adjustments (other than
timing).

   I am curious as to what RPMs were involved, but there is no indication.  I
could be mistaken, but I believe at one time the results were RPM based, not
speed based.  What gear was used?

Ed in SD