[Spridgets] Carbs

To: Spridget Chat Group <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Carbs
From: Michael Rowe <mdrowe@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 09:39:52 -0400
The car was running just fine, but the idle was a little low, so I began
fussing with the carbs.  Soon, it was not running at all.  (Who said
"carburetor" is a French word meaning, "do not touch?")  I had to start all
over again, and learned the following:

1.  The front jet will not screw all the way to the top, the rear screws well
above the top.  The rear must be eyeballed the same amount below the top as the
front.

2.  Twelve faces down is visibly different for front and rear.  Again, I had to
eyeball the difference, although I suppose I could measure it if I had a
reasonably accurate measuring device.  My cheap caliper is old and rusty.

3.  There is gas standing in the rear jet; the front is dry.  So there is a big
difference in the floats.  Should I be able to see gas standing in the jet?

4.  I eyeballed everything and drove up and down the road adjusting the jets
until the car was running smoothly.  Should I leave well enough alone, or try
to figure out why these two carbs are so different?  So far, doing things by
the book has not served me well.

Michael Rowe
'74 Midget
'60 Sprite kit