Re: [Spridgets] Bolster chisel

To: "Michael Rowe" <mdrowe@optonline.net>, "Spridget Chat Group"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Bolster chisel
From: "GUY DAY" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:35:17 +0100
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/59860/Hand-Tools/Bolsters-Wrecking-Bars/Bolsters-Cold-Chisels/Roughneck-Brick-Bolster-with-Safety-Guard-4-x-7

or

http://tiny.cc/1skH7

Flat blade and sharpened to a central point along the cutting edge.  Keep it
sharp or the metal edges you cut will bend and the metal stretches.  Try to
avoid using it and use a small hand grinder with a thin cutting blade
instead.  (It is useful for using as a lever between rusted/bonded together
metal sheets because it's thin and wide.)  You can get them in various
widths from 1/2inch up to around 6ins.  I find a 2 1/2 or 3 inch one is fine
for general use.
Your local hardware store / builders merchant will stock them by the dozen.
If you get a Chinese one with a soft cutting edge,  temper it yourself by
heating to cherry red and quenching or, do a Frank and throw it fast and
far!

Guy R Day