Re: [Spridgets] Undercoating

To: "MIchael Rowe" <mdrowe@optonline.net>, "spridgets list"
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Undercoating
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 23:18:48 -0400
Undercoating is one of those double edged swords.

One one hand it was kind of a good thing that some previous owner undercoated
the vehicle back in during the earlier life of the vehicle.   It may be one of
the reasons that you have
something decent to restore today because it prevented a lot of corrosion.

On the other hand it's a bear to remove.

It's kind of like fine art restoration in the respect that long ago there were
preservation
methods employed that would be frowned upon given the state of the art today.

One should also be aware that Bugeyes did have original  undercoating is
certain areas.
Are you sure you want to remove it all?

I've had good results removing old undercoat with one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=65700

The vibrating scraper shaves off the undercoat really well.
You will have to pause time to time to clean the blade.
I would also sharpen the blade every so often.

BTW, This tool has been very handy for a bunch of other restoration tasks.

As a sander, I have used it to remove blemishes from the cockpit surround
aluminum
before I buffed them out.

I also used it to sand in the tight spots under the bonnet before painting.