Re: [Spridgets] Oil on garage floor... removal there-of !

To: Bob Spruck <mgmaven@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Oil on garage floor... removal there-of !
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 19:16:09 -0500
One used to be able to buy large drip pans which were then filled with about
1/2 inch of sand or kitty litter. They were about 4 feet long and maybe 2.5
feet wide with a 3/4 inch lip all the way around. Haven't seen one in years.
Anybody know where they are to be found? Currently I am using a 6' x 8' hunk
of cheap indoor-outdoor carpet. Nice to lay on too!

Cheers!!
Jim

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Bob Spruck <mgmaven@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Once you pick up any volume of oil, Brake Cleaner works great in removing
> the oil stain. Spray on and rub with a paper towel.
>
> When I had a particularly leaky Spridget, I made a frame of 1x2 furring
> strips around a 2' by 4' piece of scrap paneling and cut a piece of
> cardboard to fit inside the frame. It will accept quite a bit of volume,
> not leak oil through onto the concrete, won't blow in the wind, edges won't
> curl. It is long enough to catch any leaks from the front seal all the way
> back to the rear trans seal. You could even make it reach the diff if you
> wanted to. Depends on how much of your garage floor you (or your wife) want
> to keep protected.
>
> Bob
>
> At 06:01 PM 7/5/2009 , Dave G. wrote:
> >The Beast has emulated the cat and has "marked" it's territory with
> >the usual deposits  (oil!)
> >
> >I usually cover the affected area with lots of Kitty Litter and let
> >it slowly absorb the oil.  Takes a lot of time and sweeping up.
> >
> >Is there a product (here in the states) that I can safely use that
> >(1) won't further damage my already poor lungs and (2) causes minimal
> >damage to the cement floor...  and works faster than the above
> >mentioned Kitty Litter method??
> >
> >Thanks...
> >--
> >Dave G.   KK7SS
> >'65 MK III Sprite in Richland, WA
> >
> >If I wake up in the morning, and I hurt, it means that I'm still
> >alive !!
> >_
>
> Bob Spruck
> MGMaven
> Sharpsburg, GA
> 67 Midget Vintage Racer
> 72 Midget Street and Show
> 6 parts/project cars

Cheers!!
Jim
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am
not
sure about the former. - Albert Einstein