[Spridgets] 5 - Re: Classic Motorsports Midget Project

To: spritenut@comcast.net, ladaniels@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [Spridgets] 5 - Re: Classic Motorsports Midget Project
From: WeslakeMonza1330@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:33:45 EDT
There is a diminishing return on spending money on an engine.  The  phrase
I've heard is chasing a little horsepower with a lot of money.  I  guess how
light is a light flywheel - I've had a lightened iron flywheel lighter
than an average steel one.  The manifold gasket is probably a large bore
gasket from the UK and they are not cheap and the cheap one doesn't cut  it.

Spin on filter heads vary.  I have seen the difference from the OE  factory
part and the cheap pattern part (dung fired alloy I guess??) and so you
get what you pay for.  The billet heads are even more expensive and I  didn't
bother with one for my engine.

APT did the work on my crank and rods and my very reputable UK engine
builder was very impressed with the quality of their work, in fact I think it's

one of the rare occasions or only occasion I've heard him be so
complimentary about someone elses work.  That crank and rod work was NOT  CHEAP.

So, first time the engine was fired up, cam was bedded in and engine  ready
for a light blip on the throttle do I think the money I spend on the crank
and rods alone was worth it?  Yes I do and when I drove the car I really
noticed the difference in the rev response and bear in mind the old engine
was  no slouch.

Gotta find a way to get you on my car insurace when you are next in the UK
Frank (here the driver is insured for their car not the way you seem to
insure  the car for drivers in the USA).

Regards

Weslake-Monza 1330