[Spridgets] My Weekend part one... no lbc.

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] My Weekend part one... no lbc.
From: "David Riker" <davriker@nwi.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 20:53:24 -0700
Part One of Two:

With so many musicians on the list, I thought I would share my non-lbc
weekend adventure with you all.  I'm in a 3 piece bar band "BOOM", (stands
for Burnt Out Old Men).  We play a few 60's, more 70's, a little 80's, some
90's and some current rock, with an occasional country tune thrown in.
Stuff like ZZtop, Led Zep, Collective Soul, Skynyrd etc.  Anyway, we were
scheduled to play our first big show, opening the Hero's of Woodstock 40th
anniversary concert at the Blues Ranch in Winthrop, WA. , and then playing
in the beer garden after the show on Friday and Saturday.  Everything I've
done to this point has been really small clubs, small stages, etc, so this
bill was really big for me.  The headliners were Big Brother and the Holding
Co performing Janice Joplin songs, Ten Years After, Canned Heat, Joe
Macdonald, and Jefferson Starship with guest appearance by Tom Constantine.

So Friday, just as we are setting up our beer garden stage, we get word that
there is a Forest Fire burning on the other side of the mountain, and that
the main electrical power lines are in the center of the fire.  All power to
the entire Methow valley will be going off line within the hour.  The
promoters frantically are scrambling to find any local generators they can
come up with, and wondering what to do with 3000 people camping in a field
expecting a show.  The nearest large generator is about 2 hours away, but
with a couple of small generators they can get our small stage up and
running.  So... the promoter comes to us and tells us WE are all he's got
until the large generator gets there, even though we aren't scheduled,
PLEASE start playing!  So after blowing the fuses about three times, we
wound up playing without the stage lights to a full house crowd!  To make up
for it, the promoters gave us the Saturday opening slot on the main stage.

Did I mention I've never played a big stage?  WOW!  I mean, the stage crew
was phenominal.  Friendly, helpful, pro gear, both a backstage sound board
and a front stage sound board.  They made us sound perfect right from the
first note!

David Riker
Part two to follow