[Spridgets] Was: Re: Classic Motorsports Midget Project,

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Was: Re: Classic Motorsports Midget Project,
From: "Norm 2Bs" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:51:56 -0400
"There is no guarantee the Pierce 7 port head will make more power than a

really good iron 5 port. When there is I'll be interested in seeing it.

Also the weight of the 2nd Weber, manifolding, and air filter is a weight

increase that doesn't help."

While I can't speak directly of the Spridget head, allow me to relate my
experience with one of their early X-flow MGB heads.

When I bought my '66 MGB, it had a rebuilt engine with mild cam.  I had
Sasco Motorsports modify a head for me - ported, polished, shaved & o'size
valves.  Running 1-1/2" SUs it made a good difference from about 3,000rpms
on up.  No idea of h.p. increase.  But, it WAS apparent.  And, I used that
set up when I first started racing the B.

Bought the early Pierce x-flow (un-modified) & installed it with 1-3/4" SUs.
>From 3,000 rpms up it felt at least as good as the Sasco head.  BUT, from
idle to 3,000 the h.p. increase was dramatic.  I would estimate the h.p.
changes to be from stock actual of c. 90, to 95 with the mild cam, to 105 to
110 with Sasco head, to 120 with X-flow.  Ultimately, I installed a
purpose-built near race engine by Fab-Tek rated at 145 h.p.  I would have to
dig out my Race Logs to see the e.t. difference.  But, my times did come
down substantially with each change

No need for twin Webers, I ran a single 45DCOE.  I always wanted to
re-install the x-flow on the Fab-Tek lower end (Carillos, JEs) and install
the twin 45s I had.  Never got to do that before selling it.  One of the
guys at Pierce told me they had a relatively stock MGB with their head, pair
of 45s & a good cam putting out 195 h.p.  From the looks of the head, it is
possible.

As for cost of a "really good iron 5 port" Longman high performance heads
run c. $1400 to $2400.

So, for $750, the Spridget x-flow sounds like a good value.

Norm

948 powered Turner