[Spridgets] Elkhart Lake Weekend (Pt 2 of 3)

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Elkhart Lake Weekend (Pt 2 of 3)
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:47:17 -0700 (PDT)
Larry, Frank and Peter arrived Friday AM. I must comment that of all the cars
at Elkhart, I don't think there was one more photographed than Larry's Austin
A60 Ute. You can't help but smile. I had left a few things undone (clutch
adjustment and bleed, tranny fluid change, brake pads...), but got them done
Thursday night at the track. Frank looked remarkably bored at first, but once
the first practice session was over there was plenty to do, capped by an engine
tug and clutch change on Jeff's car. White Trash was running a little funky at
first, with EGTs about 100F too high that were easily rectified by undoing all
the dyno adjustments we made and going back to my initial settings. The car
truly ran like a raped ape the rest of the weekend. The car needs to be
restored and I will be prepping a new car, "White Trash Too", for next year,
but me and that car wring more out of each other than we have a right to.

Jim Johnson and his nephew Chris Streit, an amazingly talented Porsche racer
who's driving I always admired when he ran with VSCDA before getting more
competitive, rolled in separately mid-afternoon Friday. After the clutch pull,
we all went to downtown Plymouth to DeOmally's pizza pub for a great meal and a
lot of laughs. We finished at 52 Stafford, a 120 year old Irish Pub where I
also happened to be bunking (free cookies and an Irish Pub downstairs; extra
credit when a place plays to your favorite vices).

Saturday was a great day of racing and camaraderie, with Dave Woerpel, David
Lieb, Scott Sprangers, Chris Manuel, Flounder, and many other paddock guests.
We went downtown to the Vic Village for a few before heading to the Gathering
on the Green concours show complete with Flounder and his big band playing
smoking hot swing music, absolutely top drawer. I'll leave it to Jim to comment
on the appropriateness of the venue we've got for the 50th.

pt 3 coming