Re: [Spridgets] Sebring Sprite on eBay

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Sebring Sprite on eBay
From: "Norm 2Bs" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:39:24 -0400
I'm glad to see such an iconic piece of racing history being bid so high.
It's hard to imagine that I could have owned this car or its Sebring
companion.

A few months after the 1965 Sebring race I was in the market for an MGB.  My
dealer also suggested that he could arrange for me to buy either one of the
Sebring Sprites or a Porsche 901 -- the Sprite if I didn't mind a coupe and
the 901 if I would take European delivery.  European delivery was out of the
question as I had just started a new job & had no vacation time, and the
Sprite coupe was out because my daily driver at the time WAS a coupe -- a
Corvair Spyder.  Besides, having had a Healey 100-6, I wanted a roadster.
So, bought my first (of 4) MGB.

If any of you are intrigued by HAN8-R65-5, you should go to the Vintage
Racecar site (www.vintageracecar.com <http://www.vintageracecar.com/> ) and
order the September 2005 issue.  A companion car with history at Sebring &
LeMans from 1966 to 1968 was the Profile & cover car that month. While there
are some obvious detail differences from this car, they are essentially the
same.

My congratulations to the seller for getting a good price.  But, why has he
kept it hidden away all these years?  I hope the ultimate buyer is in the US
and will bring this little piece of history out for "exercise" at one of the
vintage races someday soon.

Norm Sippel
Turner MK1