Re: [Spridgets] Midget 50th Autocross Classes

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Midget 50th Autocross Classes
From: David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:48:31 -0500
Daniel,
Are you licensed in the USA? ;-)

Frank,
That is almost the list of classes from LotO. Think you can get a 948
to sign up?

What I would like to avoid is having 75% of the cars in one class and
having a bunch of classes with 0 or 1 car in them. NO 948 engines
signed up for the LotO autocross.

I rather like Trevor's suggestion of a checklist of mods with points
assigned to each. Your total would determine your class.

Tires under 140 treadwear = 2 points each
Aftermarket cam = 2 points
Header = 2 points
Non-stock front ARB = 1 point
Rims wider than 4.5" = 1 point per inch of additional width
Displacement over 1200cc = 3 points
Total novice = -3 points
etc.

A class for under 3 points, a class for under 10 points, etc. I can
guarantee my Midget will land in the top class. As you say, Trevor,
that just means less competition ;-)
Ladies class would, of course, be voluntary, but we might have to
assign points for lady drivers,judging by their LotO results ;-)

Larry,
I have never had more than three cars on the track at once with this
system... well maybe it was four. It handles that well, but it gets to
be hard on the operator, especially when someone screws up. It can
also handle having each car trigger the start and/or the finish light
multiple times. With a group of people like this, it is generally best
not to have multiple cars on track at one time.

Bill,
Thanks for volunteering!

Neal,
I would have to think that we could run that one in the novice class
and still not worry about having to give it an award. Might do better
at the car show ;-)
David L